Under the general supervision of the Supervisor, Production and within established policies, procedures and guidelines, the Greenhouse Grower, Gardener performs all duties necessary for the propagation, growing and maintenance of required crops, provides care for the exhibition and tropical displays and participates in snow removal as required.
Work will take place in a hot and humid greenhouse setting with concrete/stone floors and in all outdoor weather conditions. The work requires bending, twisting, lifting, climbing and repetitive tasks. Equipment frequently used in the position includes hand tools, pesticide sprayers, dosetron, snow blower and sweepers. Must fulfill the manual labour requirements of this position. This position requires routine and shift work.
Niagara Parks offers a pay rate of $25.30 to $28.44 per hour as well as a comprehensive benefit and pension plan.
A successful Police Information Check is required for the selected candidate.
- Completion of a recognized Diploma of Horticulture or equivalent knowledge and experience.
- Requires an Ontario greenhouse / Interior Plant License (Structural Class 6 Pesticides).
- Practical knowledge of greenhouse procedures, methods and display techniques.
- Knowledge of gardening and mechanical equipment for landscape maintenance and greenhouse environmental control systems.
- Two years of related experience plus one year on the job.
- Effective written and oral communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to design and coordinate floral displays and work independently.
- Follow through on directives and work in an organized manner.
- Meet deadlines and get along with others.
Duties & Responsibilties:
- Provides horticulture care for production plants, exhibition plants, collections and butterfly nectar/host plan crops.
- Assists with plan acquisition documentation procedures and plant labelling under the direction of the Supervisor, Production.
- Assists with installing and cares for seasonal and permanent displays under the approval and direction of the Supervisor, Production.
- Performs all duties necessary for the propagation, growing and maintenance of all seasonal and permanent crops.
- Maintains accurate records with respect to crop scheduling, production requirements, Integrated Pest Management practices, pesticide applications and daily activities as directed.
- Assists with greenhouse IPM programs.
- Applies pesticides as required.
- Ensures the production greenhouses are kept clean and sanitized.
- Assists in developing a schedule of plant production procedures with regards to assigned crops.
- Complies with all applicable legislation as well as any related policies and procedures.
- Assists and/or initiates minor repairs and alterations as approved.
- Operates power equipment.
- Provides assistance and interpretation for public inquiries.
- Liaises with other department staff as required.
- Works with volunteer staff to coordinate and achieve goals/objectives.
- Assists with the setup of special exhibits as directed.
- Assists with washroom maintenance as assigned.
- Promotes a positive image of the Niagara Parks Commission.
Visit niagaraparks.com/careers to create a profile and submit your resume. Applications for this position will be accepted until July 3, 2019.
We are an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005), Niagara Parks will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require disability – related accommodations, please inform the Human Resources (HR) staff. All personal information is collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. To request an alternate format, please contact Niagara Parks at 905.295.4377 ext. 3601 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
MONDO Landscapes Inc.
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Apr 01, 2019