Location Kaisone Phomvihane district, Laos
Start Date Sep – Nov 2017 (flexible)
Length of Placement 24 Months
Language Requirements English
English Reading: Level 3, Writing: Level 5, Speaking: Level 4
Language Scale: http://www.cusointernational.org/languageratingscale
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer’s Role
The overall purpose of the placement is to provide support to small holder farmers in Laos in strengthening the capacities of the Thasano Rice Research and Seed Multiplication Center to improve the implementation of new or existing rice varieties and collective economic initiatives for farmer that will focus on value chain and access to markets (domestic and international), implements its rural development projects.
The aim of this placement is to further develop the quality of the organic rice production and marketing channel (written reports and case studies) in order to share learning and best practice generated by partners and volunteers within Cuso International programs. Volunteer will be paired up with a volunteer who is placement at Savannakhet channel of commerce and industries and will work collaboratively with the Country Office team to meet the goal and strategies, partners, beneficiaries and staff.
This placement will support the work of Cuso Laos in Inclusive and Sustainable Economic Growth (ISEG) and governance, with a particular focus on sustainable livelihoods for all, access to finance, training and capacity building opportunities. There will also be a focus on how far services are provided for youth, women as well as men in the area, given the importance placed by Cuso on the inclusion of women and socially excluded groups.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Identify and/or develop a variety (ies) of organic rice that can be effectively grown by Enterprise farmers; and, meet the demands of consumer markets.
- Develop farmer training programs to grow and optimize organic rice yields.
- Develop information materials to inform and educate Enterprise farmers on the benefits of growing organic rice.
- Develop support programs to ensure Enterprise farmers are constantly kept abreast of changing organic farming practices and technologies.
- Develop an internal organic quality certification program to prepare Enterprise farmers for International Organic Certification inspections and audits.
- Identify gender mainstreaming activities and initiatives that directly tackle issues relating to inclusion (people with disabilities, indigenous minority groups, and people living with HIV/AIDS).
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- University Degree in Agricultural Sciences, Horticultural Production, Social Sciences or related field
- Degree in economics, social sciences, community development or in any other relevant fields
Essential Professional Background:
- 2 to 3 years of experience in entrepreneurship development in the agricultural sector
- Organic production skills and experience in Agriculture
- Experience and proven competencies in community development, farmer facilitation and application of social science research
- Experience in pest and disease management
- Knowledge in value chain development
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
Apply to placement: https://curaweb.mindscope.com/CUSOIN04387_CURA/aspx/JobDetails.aspx?lang=en&Job_ID=54