Location Paske, Laos
Start Date Oct - Dec 2017 (flexible)
Length of Placement 12 Months
Language Requirements English
English Reading: Level 5, Writing: Level 5, Speaking: Level 5
Language Scale: http://www.cusointernational.org/languageratingscale
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer’s Role
The purpose of this placement is to improve and diversify farmers’ incomes exploring market potential for improved/ diversified production and upgrading of value chains for conventional vegetable and fruit production. It is hoped that new potential markets including access to export and inter-provincial trade will be developed as well as the adaptation of low cost sustainable agriculture techniques that are resilient to the impacts of climate change.
We are trying to match the perfect volunteer to the perfect experience so our start dates can be flexible. It would just depend on the partner organization’s needs.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Work with relevant partners (government, iNGOs, Local Associations & private sector) to develop marketing links for horticulture products.
- Support the partner in developing new climate resilient systems for horticultural production and provide training to increase technical capacity for staff.
- Develop managerial & business skills and improve capacity building for farmers groups and producer associations.
- Collaborate with Cuso International Laos staff in their development of a Project Concept Note for an extended program, and explore other small grant sources for which the PAFO may apply.
- Contribute to the development of other terms of reference (TORs) or placement descriptions of other volunteers (e.g. short term Business Development and Marketing advisors) as required.
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- Degree in Agricultural Sciences / Horticultural
- BSc in Economics / Business & Marketing or Agriculture with components in agricultural economics, processing and marketing
Essential Professional Background:
- Horticulture production skills and experience
- Experience and proven competencies community development, farmer facilitation and application of new techniques
- Experience undertaking market analysis or market assessments especially in relation to poor rural communities
- Experience or knowledge of enterprise & business development and / or agri-business for poor rural community’s commitment to volunteerism and community participation
- Agriculture/horticulture project implementation experience
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation