150 DAY TEMPORARY LABOURER (PARKS)
The City of Markham is a dynamic and change-oriented leader among Canadian municipalities. The recipient of multiple environmental awards, we are recognized for our innovative sustainability and urban planning initiatives as much as for our fiscal accountability. More than 320,000 residents call Markham home and benefit from our rich heritage, culturally diverse environment, vibrant local economy and focus on quality of life.
The Operations Parks Department of the City of Markham is seeking candidates for the temporary position of 150 Day Temporary Labourer for the 2017 season. The 150 Day Temporary Labourers reports to the Working Supervisor and is responsible for:
Job duties may vary and include but are not limited to:
- Lead and provide day to day direction to a crew of summer students involving grounds maintenance and annual planting of flowers and shrubs;
- May be involved in the care and culture of trees including pruning, removal, bracing, stumping, planting, and fertilizing;
- General grounds maintenance i.e. parks, athletic facilities, boulevards, parks amenities;
- Day to day interaction with the public.
Operate a one ton dump truck, towing a 16 to 18 ft trailer, and/or operation of other City vehicles including sweepers, large tractors, water trucks, loaders, ball diamond equipment
- Lift and carry full garbage bags, fertilizer, grass seed, soil, hanging baskets, barrels, brush and tree branches etc.
- Participate in the set up and take down of the required equipment and items needed for special events to include picnic tables, tables, chairs etc.
- Operate mowing equipment, tractors, cord trimmers, hand fertilizers, field liners, pole saw, chipper, fertilizing unit, stump grinders, etc.
- Pull weeds and plant flowers, shrubs, trees
- Pick up litter
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Post secondary education in parks operations, horticulture, arboriculture, or related field an asset
- Experience in horticulture, arboriculture or grounds maintenance
- Experience in the operation of various grounds maintenance equipment used in parks, landscaping, or arboriculture, eg. Cord trimmers, mowers, tractors, trucks
- Ability to work with limited supervision
- Supervisory or Leadership experience preferred
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent team player
- Minimum G drivers license and clean drivers abstract required
- Applicants are required to be able to perform all the of the essential duties of the job as described above.
- A satisfactory drivers abstract as determined by the City of Markham is required as a condition of employment
- Must be available to work weekend and shifts if required (shifts may be 8, 10, 12 hours)
- Standard First Aid & CPR C certification from a WSIB approved provider.
The salary for this temporary full-time seasonal job is $23.93 to $24.38 per hour.
For more information on this 150 Day Temporary Labourer (Parks) position, and to apply online by June 26, 2017, please visit our website at www.markham.ca/jobs.
We are committed to inclusive employment practices.
City Of Markham
Jul 03, 2017