GARDENER II, DISTRICT (2)
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Foreperson, Horticultural/Supervisor, Operations Facility, this position designs and maintains annual beds, shrubs and turf in assigned City Parks (maintains Park facilities) and directs students/temporary and full-time employees as assigned.
- Diagnoses flower, shrub, and turf problems and sprays as needed: selects required pesticide, calibrate required amounts and apply, ensuring safety.
- Designs, prepares, and maintains annual and shrub beds and planters, including selecting flowers/shrubs, laying topsoil, fertilizer. Plants, cultivates, prunes and fertilizes. Inspects beds and performs required maintenance; sprays with pesticides as needed.
- Directs assigned staff including assigning and verifying on-site work.
- Responsible for an individual budget for the year.
- Selection of trees and shrubs needed for replacement or new planting.
- Prunes, maintains, transplants trees; checks for damage/disease, potential hazards, etc. and refers problems to Treeperson as needed.
- Responds to on-site public requests, provides information.
- Maintains turf areas: cuts/mows, fertilizes, aerates, dethatches, irrigates, seeds, sods, applies top dressing and applies herbicides/pesticides.
- Design and maintain turf and flower bed irrigation systems.
- Maintains indoor plants; waters, fertilizes, repots, and applies pesticides.
- Prepare stock requirement for tender and provide input with regard to suppliers.
- Attend related seminars, trade shows and maintain certifications.
- Operates tractors, mowers, chainsaw, brush chipper, water and spraying equipment, snow removal equipment, and hand tools. Maintains equipment/tools, and sets-up for Park projects. e.g. removes trees, plants or transplants/stakes.
- Maintains park areas including litter and debris pick-up, removing and replacing garbage cans, overpainting graffiti, checking Park buildings for cleanliness, etc.
- Repairs, assembles Park facilities, i.e. constructs or repairs planters, beds, fencing, signs, pathways, sports facilities (e.g. bleachers), etc.
- Provides advice to Foreperson and Landscape Architects regarding horticulture, maintenance routines, pathways, and other park planning matters.
- Performs winter maintenance: operates equipment to clear snow from park walkways, bridges, outdoor ice rinks, etc. Salts and sands park areas; grooms ski trails.
- Inspects Park facilities/fixtures on an on-going basis to identify required repairs, and to ensure public safety. Informs Foreperson of required work.
- Performs additional similar and related duties as assigned.
- High school (Grade 12) graduation plus an additional program of over one (1) and up to two (2) years in Landscape Technology, Horticulture or equivalent.
- Over two (2) years, up to and including four (4) years of in a horticulture, greens keeping or gardening environment.
- A valid, non-probationary Ontario Class D licence with airbrake Z endorsement.
- Landscape Licence for Pesticides from Ontario Ministry of Environment.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills with an emphasis on customer service.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
** Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
TO APPLY: Please apply quoting the file number 102436 by APRIL 20, 2017 at: www.brampton.ca/employment or via www.workopolis.com and search for key words City of Brampton. If you require assistance with the application process, please contact us directly. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview with be contacted. We are dedicated to equal opportunity.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
Apr 24, 2017