Evergreen is a national not-for-profit organization that makes cities more livable. By deepening the connection between people and nature, and empowering Canadians to take a hands-on approach to their urban environments, Evergreen is improving the health of our cities—now and for the future.
Overview: The Gardener performs routine garden maintenance and plant installation of new and pre-existing food & native plant beds as well as surrounding naturalized areas located at Evergreen Brick Works. The Gardener’s duties ensure Evergreen Brick Works is an attractive, engaging and safe site.
1. Garden maintenance and installation
- Following daily, weekly and seasonal garden maintenance schedules
- Water all gardens, planters and pots as necessary or dictated by watering schedules
- Removal of all invasive plants and weeds as well as editing out spreading plants
- Monitor, manage and remove detrimental pests, and dead or diseased plants
- Installing replacement plants or new garden plants as directed by a garden design
- Maintain food plant based gardens through pruning, harvesting and
- Processes materials for program compost & assists with compost turning when adding materials
- Litter removal and disposal from all gardens and naturalized areas
- Cleaning and repairing hardscape surfaces as necessary
- Daily reset of outdoors furniture set ups
2. Tool and Material maintenance and oversight
- Maintain gardening tools, including gas and electric powered tools, to ensure proper functioning
- Ensure tool inventory is up-to-date and all items are accounted for at the end of each day, week and season
- Communicate tool and plant material needs to the Site Manager
3. When called upon, assist facilitating site-focused gardening and stewardship
4. Assisting in care of Greenhouse facilities and tools
Models Evergreen’s Core Values
- Attention to detail. Does not let important details slip through the cracks.
- Customer-focus. Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external customers/donors to meet or exceed their expectations and receives positive feedback from internal and external customers/donors.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency. Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Cope effectively with complexity and change.
- Managing up (i.e., manage manager). Clarify performance expectations, keep manager abreast of activities, seek guidance from manager when necessary, communicate needs for job performance / satisfaction (e.g., need for information, development, etc.), open to feedback
- Proactivity/Enthusiasm/Persistence. Act without being told what to do. Passionate and excited over work. Can-do attitude. Tenacious and goes the distance to get something done.
- Supervised by: Project Manager
- Supervises: Volunteers
- Education: Landscape Design or similar education
- Certification: Certified Landscape Technician or similar certification an asset
- Driver’s license, first-aid/CPR, familiarity with Ontario native plants & food plants, training in Integrated Pest Management Principles, fall arrest training
- Experience: At least 2 years gardening experience
- Location: Working outdoors in inclement weather
- Risks: Working with gas or electric tools, working with edged tools such as pruners, working from heights including on scissor-lifts
- Working hours: 40 hours per week
- Standing for extended periods of time
- Lifting heavy objects on a regular basis
- Doing repetitive tasks with few breaks, etc.
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted by e-mail to email@example.com. Please Reference “Gardener” in the subject line
By Mail to Attention: Human Resources Centre for Green Cities, Suite 300 Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Avenue Toronto, Ontario M4W 3X8
Evergreen welcomes applications from persons of diverse backgrounds and is an equal opportunity employer.
Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Evergreens Accommodation policy. Applicants please make your needs known in advance.
We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.
Creekside Property Maintenance & Landscaping
Apr 03, 2017