Van Luyk Greenhouses and Garden Centre is seeking an energetic and hardworking Grower Assistant to assist and support greenhouse horticulture production and maintenance of annuals and perennials. This is a full-time seasonal position starting mid January/early February 2017
* Assist with all aspects of growing, including planting, watering, fertilizing, and spraying
* Monitor crops for quality and disease control
* Implementation of Integrated Pest Management program and biological control
* Ensure greenhouse climate is conducive in relation to weather conditions
* Promote a safe and secure workplace environment
* Weeding and some greenhouse maintenance
* Fill trays, pots and hanging baskets with planting media
* Bachelor’s degree or diploma in Agricultural/ Horticulture/ Plant Pathology education
* Minimum three years’ experience working in greenhouses
* Strong interpersonal, communication and customer service skills
* Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment that is subject to numerous schedule and priority changes and short-notice activity
* Working knowledge of basic computer and internet applications an asset
* Must be willing to work non-traditional hours including evenings, weekends and holidays
* 30-40 hours per week, 40-60 hours per week during peak season
* Start times vary with season
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Fast-paced environment, work under pressure, tight deadlines, carrying moderately heavy loads, lifting and handling trays, physically demanding, attention to detail, ability to distinguish between colours, combination of bending, standing, crouching, walking, large workload. Adapt to differences in temperatures - warm, humid, cold, non-air-conditioned greenhouses.
Please include: a cover letter explaining how your education/training/experience equips you for the activities described above, curriculum vitae and a list of at least three referees. Please submit your application via email at email@example.com or in person at our location: Van Luyk Greenhouses and Garden Centre, 1728 Gore Road, London, Ontario N5W 5L5.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.