Pan American Nursery Products is a major wholesaler of plants to garden centres throughout Canada and the United States. With locations in Surrey, BC and Millgrove, Ontario we have seen growth accelerate in the last number of years. We now require a head grower to assist us in becoming an even stronger leader in our product categories.
- Work with nursery manager to produce and ship high quality product across multiple product categories.
- Manage all areas of production and nursery to ensure safe, efficient, and cost effective operations (potting, pruning, tagging, weeding, spraying, irrigation, fertilization, etc.).
- Managing, training, and mentoring staff.
- Staying up to date on current horticultural practices.
- Planning greenhouse space and climate zones based on crop requirements.
- Setting, monitoring, and adjusting climate controls based on plant needs.
- Irrigation monitoring, repair and adjustment.
- Developing, implementing, and monitoring an integrated pest management program.
- Maintaining clear records of all above costs, procedures, and decisions to aid in reporting, year-to-year crop production plans, and costing.
- Regularly inspecting nursery buildings, structures and equipment. Reporting any needed maintenance or repair to nursery manager.
- Working in adverse weather conditions and staying physically able to meet demands of the position.
- Being available to work extended hours during peak season from January to June.
- Be willing to assist in other areas as required.
Education and qualifications:
- Highly motivated to continually improve production; providing top quality plants to our customers.
- Bachelor degree in Horticulture / Nursery production or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 5 years growing experience.
- Minimum 5 years management experience.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with the team.
- Excellent English communication skills both oral and written.
- Must have strong organization and planning skills paired with attention to detail.
- Strong plants knowledge in roses, perennials, shrubs, fruits and vines.
- Proficient in Microsoft office (Outlook, Word and Excel).
- Experience with Argus and web based inventory management systems are a plus.
- Must have a certified pesticide applicator certificate.
- Salary of $60,000 – $70,000 per year to start. May be adjusted based on experience.
- Company benefit package: Medical & Extended Health.
- Appreciation Bonus based on company performance.
Please submit cover letter and resume to:
5151 152 St
Canada V3S 1G9
Or, for convenience apply online through Landscape.jobs
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Pan American Nursery Products Inc.
Surrey, British Columbia
Sep 19, 2016