About the job
This position requires the incumbent to represent the company brand, in product and professionalism, while liaising with current and potential guests and industry contacts. The role requires strong leadership, to guide a team of growers and other support staff to successfully produce a complex combination of high quality Perennials, Vines and Annuals efficiently and on schedule. The Head Grower must maintain a close working relationship with administrative and sales staff to drive sales and contribute to the company’s goals. This position requires weekend work and extended hours, particularly in peak spring season, as well as after-hours on-call responsibilities. A small amount of out-of-province travel is required to attend certain industry events.
• Oversee and/or execute the production planning for all perennial sales programs, including liner sourcing, purchasing, and receiving, as well as all scheduling for potting, growing activities, and readiness.
• Oversee and/or execute all growing and production activities, such as potting, temperature and irrigation regimes, spacing, pruning, and IPM.
• Ensure accurate inventory maintenance through continuous crop assessment.
• Effectively manage labour pool to work within budget while meeting production and operational targets.
• Accountable for divisional financial and operational results, and reporting frequently to Vice-President, Nursery Operations.
• Develop annual business plans, as well as quarterly reviews, and present to Executive panel.
• Participate in departmental hiring activities, as well as employee performance management.
• Uphold and increase the Sheridan Brand and high Standards of Excellence at all times.
• 5+ years of growing experience, preferably with Perennials or Annuals.
• Experience with Argus or other greenhouse control systems as well as inventory control systems would be an asset.
• Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Office.
• Excellent communication, leadership and problem solving skills.
• Greenhouse Exterminator license or willingness to obtain.
• Plant identification of perennial and weed species is a definite asset.
• A diploma or degree in Horticulture or equivalent is preferred, or equivalent experience.
• G class driver’s license, or equivalent, is required.
Physical Demands of the Job
• Must be able to lift up to 50lbs and work in a greenhouse and outdoor environment.
• Standing up and walking for the majority of the shift with bending and squatting at various times required.
Mary Jane Ash
We thank all applicants for their interest however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If selected, please advise if you require special accommodation to attend the interview.