About the Job
Communicating frequently with guests, and internal sales, distribution, growing, and production staff, the Shipping Supervisor oversees and/or executes the preparation and shipping of plant material to Sheridan Nurseries’ Garden Centres and External Guests. The majority of the shipping activity occurs during the spring months, requiring long working hours to ensure all orders are filled on time with top quality Perennials, Vines, and Annuals. Strong leadership and drive is required in this role in order to guide the team successfully through the company’s most critical season. This position requires weekend work and extended hours, particularly in peak Spring season, as well as share in the seasonal after-hours on-call responsibilities.
• Oversees all aspects of assembly and shipping to Sheridan Nurseries’ Garden Centres, Mass Merchants and other external guests, and a team of office, traffic, and other related staff.
• Interpret and enforce the truck schedule, ensuring all shipments are properly prepared for the appropriate method of transport and ready on time.
• Prepare, process, and file paperwork including pick slips and processing delivery forms.
• Purchase shipping supplies, and manage and report inventory levels.
• Hire, train, coordinate, and manage assembly and shipping crews, and seasonal office staff.
• Work in other areas of the operation during non-shipping periods.
• Strong leadership qualities are a must. The incumbent must be able to remain level headed and excel in a demanding seasonal business.
• Team player, but also a strong leader. Able to resolve potential conflicts quickly and effectively.
• Excellent organization and good record keeping skills.
• Effective communication and problem solving skills. Able to think on your feet, and adapt easily to rapidly changing priorities.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite. Experience using Inventory and Shipping software would be a strong asset.
• G class driver’s license, or equivalent, is required.
• Plant identification and knowledge of Perennials and Vines would be an asset.
• Able to work days, evenings, weekends, and be on call for select holidays.
Physical Demands of the Job
• Must be able to lift up to 50lbs and work in a greenhouse and outdoor environment.
• Standing up and walking for the majority of the shift with bending and squatting at various times required.
Mary Jane Ash
We thank all applicants for their interest however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If selected, please advise if you require special accommodation to attend the interview.
Aug 15, 2016