Job Number: SUP3
North Saanich, British Columbia
Posted on Aug 29, 2019
Head Grower (SUP3)
We are Arbutus Grove Nursery, a family owned, and operated nursery based on Vancouver Island. We specialize in growing containerized seedlings for reforestation, serving forest companies, government agencies, First Nations bands and woodlot owners throughout British Columbia and the Pacific Northwest. We also provide services such as seedling storage and seedling delivery, ensuring that our seedlings are in prime condition to thrive upon planting. We are a team of 16 year-round full-time employees with a seasonal workforce of over 70 people during our peak time.
We are expanding our team and are looking for a Head Grower to join us.
Duties: The successful applicant will work under the direction of our Nursery Manager and will provide instruction and supervision to our team of Growers and Growing Technicians, leading the Grow Team.
The Head grower is responsible for the implementation and improvement of all growing related tasks at AGN. With a continual improvement mindset, the Head Grower will have an opportunity to join our family and be the leader of our dedicated Grow Team.
- The safe, efficient execution, continual improvement and development of AGN’s growing regime.
- The supervision, training and development of Grow Team employees, leading through positive re-enforcement and by example demonstrating our mantra of safety, quality, production.
- Ensuring AGN continues to exceed our customers expectations and AGN’s goal of producing healthy stress resistant trees for successful planting throughout the Pacific Northwest.
- Helping AGN continue to move toward reducing waste and improving the sustainability of our practices over time.
- Managing AGN’s IPM and Weed Control Programs
- Support and train AGN Grow Team members with cross training and bi-weekly one on one’s
- Clearly communicate instruct, monitor, and follow up, on Grow Team tasks and responsibilities and correct as required.
- Complete annual performance reviews on all members of the Grow Team.
- Make recommendations to management on team member advancement and promotion.
- Mitigate crop risk through development and capacity building of AGN’s processes and procedures.
- Identify potential crop issues and facilitate corrective measures.
- Communicate to Management and Customers crop concerns and mitigation action recommendations.
Competencies: The successful applicant will have proven competencies and personality traits, demonstrated within their previous employment.
- Positive attitude and fit with AGN values and commitment to our crops.
- Ability to take short term and long-term responsibility for specific tasks.
- Superior crop care understanding – irrigation best practices, nursery stock fertility and monitoring, pruning and spacing techniques and timing, and other general plant care techniques.
- Hard worker who can plan ahead and implement assigned growing tasks
- Attention to detail and strong observational skills.
- Extraordinary character and passion; someone looking for ‘more than just a job’ and wants to be a part of the AGN Family
- Success in working alone and within a team
- Communicate with customers in a positive, improvement focused manner.
- Diploma or Degree in Horticulture/Plant Sciences.
- Pesticide Applicators Certificate/License.
- 2 years experience as a Head Grower (candidate with 5 years experience in a growing position plus 5 years supervisory or management experience may also be considered)
- Excellent leadership, communication, and motivational skills required.
- Read, write, speak excellent English. Spanish an asset but not required
- Knowledge of Pacific Northwest native plants an asset
Hours and Workdays: This job will have a 5-day work week schedule however weekends and evenings will be required as described. Standard hours of operation are 7:30 am-4:00 pm with flexibility required on occasion.
Compensation: Will commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Benefits: AGN Profit Sharing, Extended Health Plan, Vision Care, Dental Care, Wellness Benefits, Birthday off with Pay, Extra 2 weeks pay at Christmas.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com by September 27th, 2019.
Arbutus Grove Nursery
North Saanich, British Columbia
Sep 27, 2019