Job Number: BTNSCHG
Posted on Jun 20, 2019
We currently have an exciting NEW opportunity for a Head Grower to join our growing team!
Brookdale Treeland Nurseries Limited (BTN) is one of the largest and most respected growers of garden plants in Canada. Founded in 1977, we are proud to service garden retailers, landscape contractors, municipalities, and golf courses throughout Canada and the northern United States. We have four (4) locations in Canada: three in Ontario, and one in British Columbia.
BTN’s most recent addition to our Ontario locations was the acquisition of Valleybrook Gardens located in Niagara on the Lake. The knowledgeable Valleybrook team has merged with BTN’s to create a dynamic, progressive and skilled team striving to produce the best plant material our industry has to offer and lead the Canadian market.
If you are innovative, resourceful, motivated and intrigued by an exciting new opportunity, this position is for you! We offer a competitive salary range of $70 – 90k, employer paid Benefits, Employer RRSP Match plan and so much more…!
Reporting into the National Production Manager, the successful candidate will bring a broad expertise gained in multi-faceted Grower roles. The Head Grower’s primary role is to oversee all crop production and growing at our 135 acre Schomberg division and effectively lead your team to support the organizational goals. Collaboratively work towards building productions plans, overseeing day to day operations, and providing support to the sales team.
- Reports to the National Production Manager (NPM) but seeks to collaborate with the Division Manager to achieve common goals
- Responsible for planning and executing the day to day production and crop care activities
- Build a plant production plan that meets BTN’s standards of timing, cost, and quality
- Create, supervise and execute all care activities with respect to all crops
- Establish, supervise, and execute all crop production and care activities
- Achieving high quality and low shrink while meeting budgets
- Maintain a safe work environment in accordance with our Health and Safety policies
- Lead by example, working along side your team in all areas
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop a local production plan that supports BTN’s National production plan
- Plan efficient, accurate and cost effective methods for executing the production plan
- Along with HR, strive to assemble a highly efficient team that understands and meets the needs of the production plan
- Provide input to the National Production Manager and National Purchasing Manager to procure proper inputs for crop production
- Oversee crop production to ensure efficient and timely completion of production
- Create an irrigation plan for all crops to ensure optimal crop growth and uniformity
- Oversee on site propagation and rooting out processes
- R&D other propagation opportunities of nursery stock
- Plan and prepare space for incoming plants
- Implement/oversee incoming crop inspection process to ensure only clean, quality plants are accepted into the production stream, and file discrepancy reports as required
- Maintain required sanitation protocols to prep greenhouses and grounds for receiving crops
- Maintain clean, organized production areas
- Maintain accurate crop labelling in production areas and inventory counts as required
- Plan and implement timely crop spacing
- Plan and implement timely and accurate topdressing and general fertility programs to ensure we are growing crops to spec on time
- Develop and oversee all pruning activities to ensure they are done accurately and enhance product quality/timing
- Develop and implement an effective IPM program within budget
- Develop and implement a property-wide weed management program within budget
- Research and develop increased capability in our crop production practices. For example, risk reduction on challenging crops, improving water/soil/fertility quality, reducing production times, improving quality, cost reduction, process simplification, etc.
- Oversee and participate in daily crop care activities to ensure they are done correctly and efficiently
- Monitor EC/PH levels in crops and irrigation water to maintain optimal crop conditions
- Collect and submit samples to soil suppliers and local extension offices as required to conduct analyses
- Liaise with suppliers, government agencies ie. CFIA, and industry experts as required
- Directly supervise all crew work related to all aforementioned activities as required
- Assist with other areas of the farm as required
- Provide support/input to BTN Wholesale re: product care as required
Skills, Knowledge and Education Requirements
- 3 years experience growing containerized trees & shrubs, with experience in managing crop irrigation, fertility, pruning, spacing, etc.
- Horticulture degree preferred but not required with 5 years of grower experience
- Read, write, speak excellent English. Spanish an asset but not required
- Excellent arithmetic and basic calculating skills
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, Outlook required
- Excellent management skills, able to organize and direct large teams through other supervisors, exercise good judgement in a fast paced environment, and inspire and lead people
- Able to clearly communicate instruction, monitor, follow up, and correct as required
- Able to walk, stand, kneel, lift 50 lbs, and perform other physical duties over long days reasonable to a nursery working environment
- Proficient in the basics of crop care – irrigation best practices, nursery stock fertility and monitoring, pruning and spacing techniques and timing, and other general plant care techniques reasonable to a position of this nature
- Competency using spray and drench equipment such as hydraulic sprayers and dosatron required
- Ability to safely drive equipment (ie. ATV’s, gators)
- Pesticide Applicator’s license required
- Competitive salary
- Employer-paid Benefits plan including Medical, Dental, Basic Life Insurance and LTD
- RRSP match plan
- 17 vacation days
- Casual work environment
- And of course, join a great team!
Applicants should provide a resume and cover letter explaining why they are qualified and interested in the position. Serious applicants only; applications without cover letters will not be considered.
Brookdale Treeland Nurseries Ltd.
Jun 20, 2019