We have an immediate need for up to three (3) Seasonal Crew Leaders, Horticulture who will who will report to a Horticulture Supervisor. This role is responsible for many elements of the day-to-day maintenance of horticultural aspects across the Park and Zoo such as maintaining the quality standards of horticulture practices and aesthetics required of a public garden and or zoo garden or habitat and preserving the integrity of the approved Horticulture Master Plan.
This role performs horticultural work in the maintenance and installation of a diverse collection of plant material.
What you will do:
- Lead a crew of Seasonal Gardener/Labourers under the direction of a Horticulture Supervisor.
- Provide input into day-to-day task planning, record keeping, organizing and scheduling of their designated area.
- Maintain, install and perform horticultural work in the maintenance and installation of a diverse collection of plant materials such as perennials, bedding plants, shrubs, bulbs and trees, by watering, cultivating, staking, pruning/cutting, tilling, and edging.
- Create high end horticultural floral displays.
- Assist other horticulture and grounds teams and perform related duties as required to ensure the master plan is achieved.
- Assist with capital projects.
- Maintain tool Inventory and maintenance, ensuring accurate quantities are available and in working condition.
- Install and maintenance of gardens, shrub beds and tropical plants.
- Ensure staff in their team follow all health and safety legislation, regulations and policies.
What you need to have:
- A high school diploma with a minimum of 36 months (or 4 summer seasons) of horticultural experience.
- Enrolment in or completion of a post-secondary degree in plant science, horticulture, or green space management is preferred.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- A valid Manitoba Class 5 Driver’s License.
- Candidates must be physically capable of performing the duties of the position (documentation of physical capacity may be required).
- Availability to work days and some evenings and weekends.
What you need to demonstrate:
- Good understanding of the culture of plants.
- Proficiency with appropriate computer programs for record keeping and administrative tasks.
- Effective communication skills for maintaining respectful working relationships with fellow employees and relating well with visitors.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build rapport within the team.
- Strong decision making skills with the ability to multi-task and follow directions and plans as set out by the supervisor.
- Ability to give guidance, support and mentorship to your team.
- Mechanical aptitude for the operation of small engine machines and ability to operate related equipment and tools.
Successful candidates may be subject to a Criminal Record Check, and will be required to wear APC issued uniforms and provide their own safety footwear and inclement weather clothing.
How to apply:
Apply online on our career website at https://www.assiniboineparkzoo.ca/park-landing/home/join-our-team/careers by March 20, 2019 with your cover letter and resume. Position is located in Winnipeg, MB.