Job Number: 1
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario
Posted on Jan 21, 2019
TITLE: Section Grower – Full Time
MISSION: Assist with the growing and care of all crops at the assigned facility, producing high quality plants while meeting or exceeding shrink, efficiency, cost, and other targets.
SUMMARY: The Section Grower (SG) reports directly to the Grower at Valleybrook (Ont), or the Head Grower (HG) at BTN Niagara, and is responsible for effectively executing day to day crop care activities.
This is a full time year round position with regular hours typically 5 days per week, and additional hours/weekends as crops and circumstances require.
BTN strives for a team environment where every individual is important to the Organization. As SG, you are responsible to set a good working example, directly contributing to a positive work environment.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
- Report directly to and receive instruction from the Grower/HG. During slower times of year, you may be assigned to other departments and be required to follow instruction from others.
- Will be responsible for general pest knowledge, regular scouting for pests on the nursery, determining thresholds, recording pest finds, recommending and executing treatment plans, and maintaining accurate records.
- Will be responsible for regular and timely applications of pesticides, herbicides, sanitizing/cleaning agents, and plant growth regulators as required. AG’s need to be prepared to act swiftly to protect crops from threats.
- Are recognized for and expected to possess an increased level of efficiency and understanding of all departmental needs.
- May train, supervise and monitor a small group to assist with irrigation and pest management practices or other general crop care duties.
- Are responsible for the efficient, safe and productive supervision and performance of their assigned group.
- Will be required to work inside the greenhouses, outside the greenhouses, or anywhere on the nursery in all weather conditions (rain, sun, hot, cold, snow, wind)
- May at times be required to work past scheduled hours depending on crop needs.
- Will be responsible for maintaining irrigation standards on crops, ensure irrigation equipment is kept in good working order and notifying Maintenance/Operations of repair needs immediately.
- Evaluating crop nutrition by visual means or measuring EC/PH using accepted methods, and fertilizing as required.
- Will be responsible for knowing and executing specified duties under Valleybrook’s Pest Management Plan according to stipulations under CFIA’s D-96-12, the Canadian Greenhouse Certification Program
- Must continue to learn and improve in growing, cultural practices, pest knowledge, plant knowledge, and general growing techniques.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Degree/Diploma in horticulture preferred, or 2 years container growing experience including watering and pest identification and management
JOB SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Excellent ability to understand and follow both verbal and written instruction.
- Possess excellent supervisory skills and be able to work, with their group, efficiently in the absence of the SMG or other managers.
- Excellent ability to analyze and critique processes and pursue continuous improvement and efficiency.
- Possess excellent communication skills - ability to transmit clear instruction, both verbally and written, to employees
- Promote a positive, safe, professional and productive work environment.
- Possess good math skill level. Add, subtract, multiply & divide.
- Understanding of proper lifting procedures
- Ability to work in fluctuating indoor/outdoor temperatures & conditions.
- Ability to walk freely, bend, kneel and turn free of restriction.
- Must be able to drive Gators and operate hydraulic spray equipment without restriction
- Must be able to tolerate hot, uncomfortable conditions while wearing Personal Protective Equipment during warm weather
- Must possess or immediately gain a valid Pesticide operator license and keep it valid without lapse.
- $19-20 an hour
- Employee benefits and RRSP contribution matching
- $75 Safety footwear credit
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org Please include your resume, cover letter, and 2 references
Brookdale Treeland Nurseries
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario
Feb 11, 2019