Landscape Construction - Park Technician
Job Number: 2754
Surrey, British Columbia
Posted on Jan 15, 2019
We’re looking for a Park Technician – Landscape Construction to help ensure that our numerous park development projects are executed in keeping with the designs that meet the needs of our growing communities.
Reporting to the Manager of Park Development Services, the Park Technician is responsible for a full range of landscape renovation and new installation projects, ranging from landscape drainage and trail construction to horticultural bed installations, hard landscaping and landscape carpentry. This position will be working in all weather conditions and is responsible for:
- Supervising crews and onsite contractors
- Performing hands on field work in accordance with accepted standards, techniques and practices
- Managing projects within approved budgets
- Operating and maintaining landscape construction equipment
- Developing cost estimates and other technical reports
- Maintaining records pertaining to the status of projects
- Developing and managing safety plans
We’re looking for a knowledgeable horticultural professional who can think on their feet and handle stressful situations with tact, diplomacy and fairness. Our ideal candidate will have:
- A comprehensive knowledge of the principles, practices, methods, standards, guidelines and
- materials used in park maintenance and construction work
- Experience with reading construction drawings and layouts
- The ability to understand and interpret grade stakes and other site survey work
- Superior public relations and interpersonal skills
- Great problem solving skills to effect on site resolutions to project related problems
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- A valid BC driver’s license with a safe driving history
Our candidates must also have one of the following:
- Completed a horticultural diploma program from a recognized post-secondary institution, and a minimum of 3 years related experience; or
- Completed Grade 12 supplemented by a Horticultural Trades Qualification and 3 years of related progressive experience; or
- Completed Grade 12 and a Horticultural Technical Certificate Program from a recognized post-secondary institution with additional related academic courses and training, supplemented by 4 years of related progressive experience.
Please apply online @ www.surrey.ca/careers to Job ID 2457.
City of Surrey
Surrey, British Columbia
Jan 15, 2019