Seasonal Parks Workers - Urban Forestry
Job Number: 199680
Posted on Jan 02, 2019
Location: Downsview Park (North York, Toronto)
Effective Dates: May 4, 2020 – August 28, 2020
BGIS at Parc Downsview Park is hiring Seasonal Parks Workers in our Urban Forestry crews this spring-summer seasons. We are looking for highly motivated individuals who have a passion for working outdoors, ability to work in a team environment, and strong interest in the maintenance and development of urban forests.
- Perform forest restoration activities and trail maintenance: planting, tree pruning, minor tree removals, and removal of invasive plant species
- Assist with a tall-grass prairie project
- Provide education and stewardship support to the Park’s Discovery Centre
- Assist in park sanitation, such as litter picking, leaf blowing, etc.
- Additional tasks in other areas of park operations arise occasionally (ie. event support, turf care, urban orchard, horticulture/landscaping, park infrastructure)
- Attention to detail
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to deal with the public using tact and courtesy
- A team player that embraces a collaborative approach to problem solving
- Ability to work independently
- Familiarity with native tree species and invasive species management
- Capable of using arboriculture equipment, such as hand pruning tools, trimmer, bush mower, etc.
- Post-secondary full-time student or graduate in programs/accreditations related to arboriculture, forestry, or horticulture/landscaping preferred
- Ability to work daily from 7:00AM to 3:30PM, including evening and weekend shifts as required
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license (G1 minimum)
- Must have current knowledge and understanding of Ontario’s Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Previous experience in arboriculture, forestry, horticulture/landscaping, or park labour would be considered assets
About BGIS & Parc Downsview Park
BGIS is the leading provider of integrated real estate management services, including facilities management, and energy and sustainability services. We employ 5,000+ skilled professionals and manage over 56 million square metres of property and infrastructure, and deliver services that drive sustainable cost reductions for its clients.
Parc Downsview Park is a dynamic urban park in North York, Toronto and it is home to year-round recreation, education, nature, sports, and various indoor and outdoor events. The 291-acre parkland integrates a mix of forests, ponds, trails, active and passive play areas, sports fields, and ornamental and edible gardens. It is accessible by several public transit options including the new Downsview Park station operating the TTC’s Line 1 subway, and GO Transit’s Barrie train line.
Please send your application on our company website.
For any inquiries about this position, please contact:
Sarah Rafols, RSE
Groundskeeper (Horticulture Supervisor), Parc Downsview Park
BGIS (Parc Downsview Park)
May 04, 2020