Seasonal Parks Worker - Urban Orchard
Job Number: 199682
Posted on Jan 02, 2019
Location: Parc Downsview Park (North York, Toronto)
Effective Dates: May 4, 2020 – August 28, 2020
BGIS at Parc Downsview Park is hiring Seasonal Parks Workers for our Urban Orchard crew this spring-summer seasons. We are looking for highly motivated individuals who have a passion for working outdoors, an ability to work in a team environment, and a strong interest in urban food systems.
- Maintain the Park’s Orchard Pavilion and surrounding edible and pollinator gardens: watering, weeding, planting, fruit tree pruning, plant health care, and soil amendments
- Assist in the upkeep of the Park’s greenhouses
- Assist in park sanitation, such as litter picking, leaf blowing, etc.
- Provides staff support for stewardship activities and outdoor events
- Additional tasks in other areas of park operations arise occasionally (ie. horticulture/landscaping, turf care, urban arboriculture & forestry, park infrastructure)
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to deal with the public using tact and courtesy
- A team player that embraces a collaborative approach to problem solving
- Ability to work independently
- Post-secondary full-time student or graduate in programs/accreditations related to orchards, organic agriculture, permaculture, or horticulture preferred
- Ability to work daily from 7:00AM to 3:30PM, including evening and weekend shifts as required
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license (G1 minimum)
- Must have a current knowledge and understanding of Ontario’s Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Previous experience in gardening/landscaping, urban agriculture/orchards, or park labour would be considered assets
About BGIS & Parc Downsview Park
BGIS is the leading provider of integrated real estate management services, including facilities management, and energy and sustainability services. We employ 5,000+ skilled professionals and manage over 56 million square metres of property and infrastructure, and deliver services that drive sustainable cost reductions for its clients.
Parc Downsview Park is a dynamic urban park in North York, Toronto and it is home to year-round recreation, education, nature, sports, and various indoor and outdoor events. The 291-acre parkland integrates a mix of forests, ponds, trails, active and passive play areas, sports fields, and ornamental and edible gardens. It is accessible by several public transit options including the new Downsview Park station operating the TTC’s Line 1 subway, and GO Transit’s Barrie train line.
Please send your application on our company website.
For any inquiries about this position, please contact:
Sarah Rafols, RSE
Groundskeeper (Horticulture Supervisor), Parc Downsview Park
BGIS (Parc Downsview Park)
May 04, 2020