Job Number: B084
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Posted on Nov 20, 2018
Under the general supervision of the Supervisor, Forestry, and Environmental Management and within established policies, procedures and guidelines to provide tree climbing services including use and basic upkeep of a variety of equipment in order to maintain or remove trees located on NPC property.
Niagara Parks offers an hourly rate of $27.77 to $31.21 as well as a comprehensive benefit and pension plan.
A successful Police Information Check is required for the selected candidate.
Applications for this position will be accepted until December 4, 2018.
- Possesses a College Diploma in Natural Resources or Horticulture, or a completed Niagara Parks Arborist Apprenticeship Program.
- Must hold a Landscape Exterminator Pesticide License.
- Possession of a Forestry License is considered an asset.
- Possession of an ISA Arborist Certification is considered an asset.
- Possession of a Chain Saw Certificate.
- Valid Class “D” Driver License with Air Brake “Z” Endorsement.
- Valid Class “A” Driver’s License an asset.
- Ability to perform the manual tasks associated with the position and ability to climb heights.
- Excellent plant identification skills with emphasis on native trees and shrubs.
- Knowledge of mechanical equipment for maintenance of trees and shrubs.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act as well as the Ministry of Transportation/Highway Act and Book 7.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides tree climbing services required by the NPC in the maintenance or removal of trees.
- Prunes, fertilizes, sprays (mist blower and hydraulic sprayer), transplants and/or transports saplings or mature trees (tree spade) as required.
- Treats trees for diseases/insect control as required; operates chain saws for removals and pruning; removes tree stumps.
- Ensure proper growth and support of trees through cabling, bracing and guying.
- Mixes sprays as per manufacturer’s instructions and drives tractor for the spraying of bush poison ivy and turf control.
- Excavates, disinfects and fills cavities in trees as required.
- Splits wood; hauls and piles as required; loads and unloads truck with wood or materials.
- Works from aerial bucket truck; operates and works within bucket for work assignments in high places; installs Festival of Lights tree lighting / displays.
- Drives front-end loader for the clean-up and removal of wood and brush and disposes of same using brush chipper; drives tractor for the drawing of logs.
- Plants trees and shrubs as required.
- Performs basic maintenance and upkeep of equipment used in the section.
- Provides safe storage and maintains accurate records of pesticides and other information.
- Informs Supervisor of equipment, tools and vehicles that need repaired / replaced or has Maintenance staff investigate.
- Provides excellent customer service to internal and external customers / staff, assisting with questions concerns etc.
- Instructs Apprentices, Students from The School of Horticulture and Seasonal employees on tree maintenance.
- Drives 6-ton Forestry trucks, to job sites as required and operates snow removal equipment.
- Salts, sands and removes ice and snow from pathways, sidewalks and parking lots.
We are an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities
Act, 2005), Niagara Parks will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require disability – related accommodations, please inform the Human Resources (HR) staff. All personal information is collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. To request an alternate format, please contact Niagara Parks at 905.295.4396 x3255 or by email to email@example.com
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Jan 02, 2019