Job Number: 1
Posted on Apr 06, 2018
The Official Residences Branch is looking for a Grounds Technician for a one year determinate position with possibility of extension and/or permanency. The position is classified as an RÉ-03 ($44,742 to $56,628 per annum). Candidates have until Monday, April 12, 2018 to submit their application.
The National Capital Commission (NCC) is the federal Crown Corporation dedicated to ensuring that Canada’s Capital is a dynamic and inspiring source of pride for all Canadians and a legacy for generations to come. Building on more than a century of experience, the NCC provides unique value in the Capital Region by fulfilling three specific roles: long-term planner of federal lands, principal steward of nationally significant public places, and creative partner committed to excellence in development and conservation.
DETAILED JOB DESCRIPTION
Reporting to the Senior Grounds Technician, the incumbent provides a broad range of operational support services in the maintenance and life cycle management, rehabilitation of the landscape, civil and fleet assets as well as providing operational support services for ceremonial and snow and ice control activities. The incumbent:
- Provides operating, maintaining, adjusting and making minor repairs to a wide range of equipment (may include: pick-up trucks, trailers, tractors, excavators, chainsaws and chippers);
- Ensures compliance with relevant licensing;
- Maintains inventory and record keeping as required by fleet policies and procedures;
- Removes snow and de-icing in a timely fashion to ensure safe passage on and about the site for occupants and VIP guests, staff and for official ceremonies;
- Participes in a wide range of civil maintenance activities which may include but is not limited to: irrigation, repair and maintenance, pest control, sanitation services, recycling & event support;
- Provides operational support services related to the maintenance of a broad range of recreational facilities: inspects, cleans and maintains e.g. tennis courts, toboggan slides, cricket pitch, skating rink, swimming area, sleigh ride route, play structure, fishing boats, and docks.
- Ensures the day to day maintenance and life cycle management to ensure the preservation, development and rehabilitation of heritage horticultural landscape assets;
- Participates in a wide range of horticultural activities which may include but is not limited to: floral displays, heritage gardens, VIP tree plantings, formal lawns and turf areas and kitchen gardens as well as maintaining interior plant displays as required;
- Provides support in greenhouse operations as required including: pruning, planting, transplanting, pinching, watering, cleaning, etc.
- Provides guidance, training and coaching for term employees and students as well as provides input in performance evaluations. Assists in the development and implementation of the work and maintenance plan with the supervisor.
- High-school diploma with acceptable combination of specific, short-term or practical training related to the position;
- Language requirements: English or French;
A minimum of two (2) years of experience in each of the following criteria:
- Operating, maintaining, adjusting and making minor repairs to a wide range of equipment;
- Participating in a wide range of civil maintenance activities;
- Participating in a wide range of horticultural activities; and
- Providing guidance, training and coaching to new employees and students.
- Of the NCC’s Official Residences mandate and programs;
- Of diverse techniques in horticulture, landscape and environmental practices;
- Of life cycle management to ensure the preservation, development and rehabilitation of heritage horticultural landscape assets; and
- Of work-related safety standards and work procedures and practices.
- To set priorities, make decisions, meet deadlines and adapt to changing conditions;
- To work in a team environment;
- To operate and maintain various pieces of machinery and power equipment;
- To ensure quality control by following policies, guidelines, procedures and practices; and
- To communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Requires a secret security clearance;
- Chainsaw operator certification;
- WHMIS qualification;
- Valid driver’s license
- Small engine and mechanical training/experience;
- Experience with landscape installations, i.e.: fencing and stonework;
- Tractor/Excavator training/experience;
- Irrigation installation and repair competency;
- Fork lift training;
- Landscape/turf/horticulture technician qualifications.
The NCC is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce reflective of Canadian society. As a result, it promotes employment equity and encourages candidates to indicate voluntarily in their application if they are a woman, an Indigenous person, a person with a disability or a member of a visible minority group.
The NCC is also committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted regarding this competition, please advise the Human Resources representative of the accommodation measures which must be taken to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. If you require additional information on the position or if you are experiencing technical difficulties, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hearing impaired and speech impaired persons can contact us through a Teletype Device (TTY) at (613) 239-5090 or 1-866-661-3530 (toll free).
As a result of this competition, we may establish an inventory of potential candidates that may serve to staff similar positions.
TERM POSITION ONLY: Please note that indeterminate NCC employees must obtain a written endorsement from their supervisor as to their availability to participate in this assignment, if their candidacy is selected to be part of the selection process.
SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
National Capital Commission
May 14, 2018