Learning Grounds School Ground Design Consultant
Job Number: 1
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posted on Jan 15, 2018
Do asphalt school grounds make you wince? Do you want to be a part of a national team that is transforming them into diverse, green landscapes for play and learning?
Evergreen is seeking an inspiring landscape designer who specializes in children’s play and learning landscapes to play a leadership role in its ever-expanding award-winning Learning Grounds Program.
Evergreen is a national not-for-profit organization dedicated to making cities flourish. We convene, collaborate and catalyze action to connect people, natural and built worlds. Our goal is to make Canadian cities great places in which to live, move, work, play, learn and thrive. For more information, please visit www.evergreen.ca
Location: Nova Scotia – Office in Halifax
Term of Contract: Approximately 2.5 days per week as a part-time independent contractor (time is flexible approximately 10 – 21 hours per week influenced by the school year)
Application deadline: 24 January, 2018
Term: 1 February, 2018 – 30 November 2018
Key areas of responsibility:
- Facilitate a participatory design process at a variety of schools advising on natural school ground design, implementation and maintenance.
- Liaise with Nova Scotia Department of Education and Early Childhood Development staff, administration and school stakeholders.
- Work with school boards and facilities staff to deliver province-wide systems in support of school ground play and learning initiatives (e.g. support with design approvals processes, installation and maintenance guidelines, design standards).
- Present Evergreen’s design work to school communities through presentations, outreach, workshops, etc.
- Post-secondary degree in landscape design with emphasis on a participatory design process and at least three years’ experience.
- Proficient in MS Office and design software (CAD, Vectorworks, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Sketchup, etc).
- Experience designing children’s play and learning landscapes using CSA and universal design standards and principles.
- Strong presentation and workshop facilitation skills.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Strong teamwork and relationship-building skills
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative culture yet able to work independently with the support and direction of a head office team.
- Proven project management skills with the ability to drive projects from conception through to completion.
- A driver’s licence and access to car - this position requires travel throughout the province
- Access to your own hardware/software/phone
- Able to provide a vulnerable sector police reference check
- Commercial General Liability Insurance and Errors and Omissions Insurance
- Analytical/Decision Making/Problem Solving skills. Draw insightful conclusions from information. Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of Evergreen. Assess difficult situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
- Attention to detail. Does not let important details slip through the cracks.
- Calm under pressure. Demonstrate composure in stressful situations.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency. Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Cope effectively with complexity and change.
- Proactivity/Enthusiasm/Persistence. Act without being told what to do. Passionate and excited over work. Can-do attitude. Tenacious and goes the distance to get something done.
Letters of application, including a resume, may be submitted to:
Manager National Associates
We appreciate all applications; however only those applicants considered for this position will be contacted for an interview. Evergreen welcomes applications from persons of diverse backgrounds and is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Feb 01, 2018